Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 12 Storytelling: The Two Kindergarteners

There were two young boys who became quick friends in Kindergarten. They were not normal boys; they were quirky. They played weird games. They liked cards and classic movies. They both wore glasses, and their classmates constantly called them “nerds”. They were surprisingly athletic, but no one really knew that because they spent all of their time studying, reading, or playing games with each other.

One boy was a few months older, and his name was John. The other boy was a few months younger, but had about fifty pounds on John (which is a lot in kindergarten). His name was Buzz.

They went to each other’s houses almost every day after school. Their mothers would take turn picking them up from school, and they would play games like Risk or Settlers of Catan.

Buzz looked up to John, even though he was only a few months older. John kind of took Buzz under his wing and taught him a lot about life and how to not get picked on so much. Buzz was kind of the new kid. His parents had just moved them into town because of his dad’s new job at the factory down the street.

John’s dad was in the military, and you know what that means. Soon, it was time to pack up and move to another town with another military base in it. It wasn’t a sudden departure, but it sure felt like it to the boys.

The day finally came for John’s family to move. The boys cried, hugged, and told each other goodbye. They gave each other a letter. They each had to clean their glasses because the tears had smudged the backside of the lenses.

The days moved on, but the boys didn’t. Buzz sat at home, depressed, and he lost a lot of weight. He wouldn’t eat. Months passed, and he began to eat a little more, but his mother was still worried. The boys wrote letters to each other every day, but they were still sad.

The town that John moved to was 3 hours away, so the parents called each other. They decided that every other weekend they would drive halfway and let the boys spend the weekend together.

The boys’ attitudes began to cheer up, and life was better again.

Image Informaiton:
The Game of Risk
Source: On Violence



Author’s Note: This story is derived from the Jataka story called The Elephant and the Dog. The Elephant eats his food and gives his leftovers to the dog. Because they share food, they eat every meal together and become great friends. Soon, the dog is sold and the elephant becomes depressed. The elephant won't eat, bathe, or do anything productive. Then, the dog is bought back and the two live happily as friends.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again! This is a really good story. I haven't read the Jataka Tales reading unit, but it really felt like deja vu as I was reading your story. I don't know where I would have come across it, but I've definitely heard the story about the elephant and the dog before. You did a really good job of recreating it. I liked how you changed it up so that the characters were humans. Your strategy in doing this worked really well. Great job!

    Sorry, I accidentally typed the same thing twice in the previous comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Skyler! I really enjoyed your retelling of The Elephant and the Dog. I think that a lot of us can relate to having a dear friend move away at some point--when I was young, I was usually the one moving away--and I think framing your story around that experience was very successful here. Your writing is clean and flows well, so good job there. It's always nice when something is easy to read. Keep up the good work! The end (of the semester) is nigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Skyler! I love the way that you chose to adapt the story from animals into children. Your adaptation made it easy to relate to; I grew up as a military brat so I know a lot about having to leave friends behind due to transfers. I hadn't read the story of the elephant and the dog but your retelling allowed me to easily understand what was going on. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Skyler! I have not read the Jataka Tales reading unit so I cannot comment on how your story relates to the original, but I can say that I enjoyed reading your version! It really sucks to have to deal with a friend moving away and it's something I think most people can relate to so you picked a great topic! Also, you wrote this story really well. It was clear and easy to understand even for those of us who haven't read the original. You kept me engaged and I thought you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete