Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 7 Storytelling: The Festival

It was a summer night, one where it was neither hot nor cold, and Ben sad on his back porch. The breeze was blowing as he enjoyed his drink. It had been a long day, and his cocktail proved to lift his spirits.

Ben was a wealthy man, but he was also quite lonely. He reflected on his life – his recent separation with his wife Martha, and how she had taken their twelve-year-old twin sons with her to her mother’s house. He missed them a lot.

Suddenly, his face lit up. He summoned his personal assistant to the back porch, and said, “I want to have a party – a midsummer night party.”

“But midsummer is tomorrow, sir,” his assistant replied. “Don’t you think there would be a better response to the invitation if we planned the event a few weeks in advance?”

“Nonsense,” Ben replied. “I must do something to get my wife and kids back.”

Thus, the party was planned. It was to be the party of the year (and even possibly the party of the decade). He invited his entire family: his wife and kids, her mother and father and aunts and uncles and cousins, his immediate family, his first and second and even third cousins, and at last, every single employee from his company. Not only that, he invited his graduating class from high school, every member of his fraternity in college, every member of his wife’s sorority, and every friend he’d ever had on any type of social media. The party, dubbed “The Festival”, even made the newspapers. It was predicted to be “a modern day Gatsby party” by the New York Times.

Not a single person turned down the invitation.

The night of the party came. The food was unparalleled. There was a table for every country of the world, with homemade food from someone from each country. There were five bands that played, from classical music to reggae to funk, even swing music was played.

He got up to make a toast. “This ‘Festival’, as they call it, is a celebration of thanksgiving for what good fortune we have all had. It will be a long and excellent celebration – so eat, drink, and be merry, my friends – for life is too short to not be happy.”

A cheer erupted and Ben walked up to Martha. She embraced him, he apologized, and they agreed to work on their marriage. They lived happily ever after.


Image Information: House Party



Author’s Note: I took this story from an Buck’s portrayal of the Festival (on page 401). However, instead of Rama not inviting Sita, I let Ben invite his wife and children back (in order to make a happy ending).

Bibliography:
Buck, William. Ramayana:. Berkeley: U of California, 1976. Print.

8 comments:

  1. Great job, Skyler! I really like how you modernized the story, and when I started reading, I just had to continue to see how everything would resolve. It was a great surprise to find that you ended the story as we all would have like the Ramayana to end-- with joy and full reconciliation. I would have liked to see more interaction between the man and his wife, but I really liked you interpretation of the festival and how it could be paralleled in a situation today. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for happy endings. Thanks for reading and thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Such a great story! I love that you took the story and brought it to modern times. You did a great job of this. I really like the detail about the food from all over the world. Rama invited everyone from all over his world and I think this was represented nicely here, plus the idea of homemade food from all over the world sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I appreciate your feedback. I think the food sounds great also.

      Delete
  3. Good job Skyler! I love the way that you adapted the story to fit in today. I also really like the way that you changed the ending. Rather than having Rama ignore Sita and their children, resulting in her disappearing into the ground, you have them actually interact and work things out. I would have enjoyed seeing them talk, but overall I love the way that you retold this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Skyler! What a happy story- I’m glad you changed the ending so it was positive. I loved how you were so descriptive with all the different groups invited- it sounds like quite the party! I also like how you made it more modern-day and applicable – that’s so cool how you changed tweaked the story so it was related but also was different which was sweet. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really wonderful! Once again, I enjoyed how you modernized this story, but still kept parallels with the story in the Ramayana! I thought your details really helped make the story! I love that you changed the ending! I found it really frustrating in the original story that there was no happy reunion of the whole family, so good job on bring a happy ending to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Skyler! Once again I really liked reading your story, your stories get me interested and want me to read on to find out what happens next. I liked how you were able to modernize the story, I thought that was really creative of you. Again your writing was very smooth and could not really find anything wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete