Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Week 3: Famous Last Words

In this class, I think my best writing came in the form of my story retelling. I love taking small excerpts of stories and running with them. I think I like doing this because it gives me the ability to unleash creativity. Instead of being tied down to certain elements of stories, when you use a small portion as a prompt, it allows creativity to flow more freely.
Another form of writing that I really appreciate comes in the form of letters. I love getting letters. They are so thoughtful – no matter how long or short they happen to be. This week I wrote a letter to a friend of mine. I might have made a mistake when I tweeted before I left for camp, saying “Favorite this tweet for a letter from me!” Over ten letters later, I’m finally finished. I think I like writing letters because it allows us to convey kind words in a way that isn’t awkward.
I also wrote a paper this week that I’m quite proud of. It’s a response paper for my class The Rebirth of Israel with Professor Carsten Schapkow. I wrote about the perception of the Jews in the mid 18th century, how they became accepted, and how they began to assimilate into secular culture. I found it fascinating how the individual Jew seemed to be accepted, but Judaism as a whole seemed to be rejected. I also felt a sense of empathy from some of the concepts. It seemed as though the Jews assimilated in order to be free and equal men, but they tended to do so with heavy hearts. They held onto their traditions, but they still hoped to become relevant. It’s an interesting subject to analyze, if any of you guys ever get the chance.


Image Information: Handwritten Letter
The Lost Art of Handwriting
Source: The Guardian

1 comment:

  1. We have something in common, I love letters too! I remember writing letters in middle school and feeling so cool for receiving them. That aspect hasn't changed but the content of the letters definitely has. Now i love to write on cute stationary, and really think about what I write. It's always nice to receive a heartfelt letter on a crummy day.

    ReplyDelete