Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 5: Famous Last Words


My best writing came this week in the form of my Storytelling blog post. I took my time writing it and put more effort into it than I normally do. I really enjoyed myself. I did not view it as a task, but rather as a leisure activity. It really changed everything. I took a little piece of Buck’s Ramayana that stuck out to me and I translated it into my life. It was a semi-autobiographical story. It hasn’t really happened (the story was fiction) but it also kind of has happened too. The plot and details aren’t necessarily true, but the story was inherently true. That’s why the Buck’s story featuring Atri and Anasuya stuck out to me, I think. His description of Atri’s home was phenomenal. It was cozy and celebratory – and ultimately it reminded me of my home. Atri and his kindness reminded me of my father and his kindness towards his sons. Anasuya asked the question, “What can I do for you?” to Rama. That is a question I have heard a hundred times from my own mother. It’s usually “What can I do for you?” or “What can I make you to eat?” or “Is there anything that I can get you?”

Side note: Before you say that I’m spoiled, let me explain my mother’s love. She loves taking care of us – but she also knows that one way to do this is to let us learn to do things on our own. She always says her famous line, “I’m here to teach you, not to serve you.” (Although sometimes, she serves us – but we serve her also.)

For this reason I was reminded of my mother by the generosity and love of Anasuya. Their home was lovely and it really reminded me of my own home.





Image Information: William Buck, The Ramayan
Source: UC Press 

1 comment:

  1. It's nice that you use your Famous Last Words posts as a way to reflect on your writing and/or reading from the previous week. I feel like the ability to think about your work and explain what you liked about it is a strong characteristic that will help you later on. Also, I enjoyed your storytelling post and am glad you had a good experience writing it. School work can become so tedious and boring, but this class has really had some cool, innovative assignment choices that i've really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete